Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Belongings .....

Have we ever wondered, how with every passing day some of our treasured belongings become worthless ?

Just a few days back as I got over with the season of Group Discussions and Personal Interviews, my entire family started pushing me towards getting m…….. ……… y closet and room cleaned up. Its been a few years that Ive been through this ritual, so I started by pulling out everything that I came across. So here’s a list of things I CAME ACROSS:

1. Here was the blue printed, specially tailored shirt that used to be my favourite 2 years back. It was amazing to notice how the equity of this piece of fabric has deteriorated.

2. I came across the remote controlled miniature of the BMW over which I had a fight with my brother [Im guilty of violating the Brocode]. Now, it was not worth that space in my closet.

3. Next was waiting for me the Atlas and the Pocket Dictionary which I carefully saved from my sister because I was in love with those stuffs. Now, it was absolutely fine for me to share these stuffs with anyone around.

4. I was almost done with the ‘most precious things’ when I came across the magic knife which my father bought me at a fair. It was the exact same as I had left it. The black short bakelite handle with a shiny blunt extension that slips into the handle as one applies pressure. I was quite amazed that this little thing mattered the same to me. I stored it again. I looked back at the knife … I smiled.

5. I started collecting the scraps and bits when suddenly something drew my attention. It was a small white plastic box wrapped in a tissue. It was a ‘pan masala’ box from some marriage ceremony that I had stored because it appealed to me. As I opened this I found that it was filled with phosphorus alum. It was me and my sister who during a play filled it with the amorphous material and thereafter I felt that it was precious. Yes it was precious. How come after so many years that I remember every single thing that led to the creation of this memento. I stored it.

6. I was about to throw away some crushed bits of papers when I found a crushed handmade card hidden inside the pile. I pulled it out and opened it. “Happy Birthday Bhai. U have turned 9” said my 10 and a half years old sis. And it wasn’t precious to me because it was handmade. Because it was delicate and perishable. Because it was not so good to look at. Because it was the best my 10 years old sis could have created. Because it saved the smile when my sis thought that I would be happy when I receive this. So I had threw it to the darkest corner of my closet. Worthless is not something I would term this as. It is priceless now.

Isn't it amazing how with every passing day some of our treasured belongings become priceless ?

There were a lot of other things I found in the process. Ill come back to those later.

No comments: