Friday, October 19, 2012

My life as a pillion

Yes. I am a pillion. One can find me at the back seat of the bike because Im not aware how to ride the monster. They say you need to handle it properly and it will take care of you. But till date I have not been able to interpret what they try to mean by 'properly'. If it is loosely, yes Ive tried that and met with accidents. If it is with style, yes Ive done that too(only while taking a pic). But why is it so that I am one of the very few people of my age who is yet to know what properly is like?
That could be because I haven't tried , or maybe because I didnt get the opportunity at the exact moment. As a kid, whenever I saw the advertisement 'Buland Bharat ki Buland Tasvir" I used to think that it as a big joke. A marketing gimmick (I didnt know the word gimmick then, I used to think in my native language and with all the new words that MBA has helped me to add to my dictionary, I guess gimmick suit the purpose). How is it possible that every other person in the country possesses a ride. So again, as a kid I never sat on a parked bike trying to make it fly. I didn't even get nearer to a scooter except in a traffic signal. Whenever I was required to go anywhere,  it was either the public transports of a hired cab.
As I grew up, none of my friends also possessed a bike and I never thought that there was anything weird in it. Or in other words, a motorbike have had always been a distant, alien, mechanical monster for me. But things change and it took a drastic turn when I came to Goa Institute of Management with the purpose of completing my post graduation. And here I belong to the minority of the people who doesn't know how to behave with the monster 'properly'. But I made friends and they always help me to go places. And that is when my life started as a pillion.
Now, it is in my nature, that whatever I do I do it really well. Be it some professional task, or be it personal. And so I soon turned out to be the best pillion ever (In case you are not a sexist).
I sit at the back of the rider. I carry his bags. I dont mind when he does not slow near a bumper (even if it hurts my arse a lot). I dont talk much (Obviously I dont want to distract the rider). And of course I am loyal (you give me a ride once, Ill always come back to you whenever I require something).
So I am proud to be a pillion, I love being one, and Ill continue to be a pillion till the time I properly interpret the word 'proper'

No comments: